Our experience and background allows us to provide expert consulting services in the field of microelectronics.
From materials and process development to expert witness services and root cause failure analysis investigations, TJ Green Associates provides consulting services with expertise in materials and processes used to assemble hybrids, multichip modules, microwave hybrids, RF/MMIC modules, MEMS, medical implants, optoelectronics, sensors, and other types of packaged microcircuits.
TJ Green Associates has completed numerous successful consulting projects for military, space, and medical device clients, including:
- Analyzed and determeind root cause of a wirebond lift inside a hermetic package for military use
- Hermeticity evaluation, testing and product development for a Class III medical implant.
- Characterized the reliability and moisture ingress in near hermetic cavity-style Teflon ® laminate packages for RF and telecom applications.
- Drafted and delivered a complete Hybrid Microelectronics Workmanship and Quality Manual for the NASA and other major Aerospace companies
- Multiple projects coordinating and analyzing test results from MIL-STD-883 TM 1014 (Hermetic Seal) correlation studies using OLT (Optical Leak Test), Radioisotope Kr-85 and CHLD methods.
The experts of TJ Green Associates are available to consult with you on a one-time or recurring, retainer basis.
For more information and to schedule a TJ Green Associates expert, please click here.
To view Thomas J. Green’s full resume, please click here.
Access over 300 color defect pics linked to Mil-Std-883 source requirements with just a click!
Subscribe to our online Workmanship eBook to stay current with the latest industry best practice and up to date Mil Spec visual requirements.
Medical Device Expert Witness
Thomas J. Green is available as an expert witness for cases involving high-reliability military, space and medical device applications.
Having spent time in industry, government research labs, and academia, Tom has gained considerable expertise regarding the materials and processes used in the microelectronic packaging of such devices.
He has developed a strong perspective on the many possible causes of device failures as well as hermetic package sealing and hermeticity testing of hybrids and other types of hermetically sealed implanted Class III medical devices.
Tom is an experienced expert witness at both deposition and trial. He has hadled patent cases and product liability cases related to Class III medical implants. One case in particular involving a cochlear implant failure can be found here.
Class III implants may fail in the body due to loss of hermeticity. A hermetic seal is effectively an airtight seal that prevents moisture from penetrating the device cavity and interfering with the sensitive microelectronics contained inside. If moisture builds up inside a device implanted in the human body it may fail prematurely and have to be surgically removed. There have been and continues to be problems with hermeticity and high levels of moisture inside implanted Class III medical products.
Hermeticity Evaluation Testing
Leak testing per Mil-Std-883 only provides a single, one-time room ambient check of the integrity of the hermetic seal. The reality is, for most packages, the leak rate changes with time based on temperature, pressure, and ambient humidity conditions. Often times perfectly good packages are scrapped, while other times apparently good packages are released into the field only to fail catastrophically due to excessive amounts of moisture.
Mount a miniaturized microelectronic sensor inside the package and monitor real time moisture ingress as a function of changing external ambient conditions. Use this data to determine the right amount of moisture protection for your product and end-use moisture environment. Develop real life models to predict moisture content as a function of time.
How It Works:
- Send us your packages for sensor integration and instrumentation.
- We’ll return to you for bake out and seal.
- Sealed packages are then exposed to humidity at Silicon Cert Labs.
- Generate a professional test report with graphics of Moisture Ingress vs. Time.